NYC Principals Fellowship for Transformative Leadership
The NYC Principals Fellowship for Transformative Leadership seeks to empower public schools by developing school leadership through transformative and self-reflective practices. Fellows will return to their schools not only ready to effect change, but to redesign, restructure, and transform existing systems leading to exponential growth for all students and faculty.
Fellows will engage in a full year of professional learning grounded in awareness based systems thinking, peer to peer coaching, and mindful leadership. Top trainers in transformative, systems, and organizational practices will lead principals in retreat and convening experiences to prepare a select group of 15-20 principals to implement change initiatives regarding their own leadership practices (change of self), as well as their school communities (systemic change).
The Fellows Program is offered as a scholarship program to all NYC DOE principals, and all convening days are approved as professional development time and will not be charged to your time bank. In addition, a $500 stipend will be provided to all fellows to cover any additional materials or expenses.
June 27, 2019
Participate in a two-week Summer Leadership Institute beginning July 22, 2019
- Week 1: July 22nd – July 26th
Mindful Leadership hosted by Brain Power – Ellenville, NY
- Week 2: July 29th – August 2nd
Awareness Based Systems Thinking – The Roosevelt House, NYC
Commit to additional sessions throughout the 2019-2020 school year
Fellows will convene for seven additional days throughout the year from 8:00a.m.-4:00p.m.
Dates: TBD in months of September, October, December, March and May
Complete a yearlong project to be presented in two parts
- May presentation: Principals present on their personal leadership development
- June presentation: Group presentations on transforming NYC schools, followed by a symposium discussion with NYC DOE, CUNY, CSA and additional NYC leadership on transforming NYC public schools
Present final project at a culminating event
Group presentations and symposium with NYC DOE, CSA, & CUNY Leadership in June 2020
Complete the online application, where you will provide the following:
- CV or resume in .doc or .pdf format
- Two Professional References: List contact information for an educational leader (principal, superintendent, or other school leader) and a member of your school community (student, faculty member, SLT/PA parent)
- Written Response: Address the following three questions and upload them as a .doc or a .pdf file. Your responses should provide specific examples that speak to your leadership and school performance. Be sure to indicate how your talents and knowledge will contribute to the 2019 cohort of Fellows.
(Please write 2-3 paragraphs for each response)
- As a Fellow you will engage in deep self-reflective work including mindfulness and peer to peer coaching. How will developing these practices shape your growth as a transformational leader?
- As part of the program, Fellows are expected to work on a challenge project that targets their own leadership development while improving systems and outcomes at their schools. If you had to identify a challenge to address right now, what might that be and why?
- All Fellows must be present at all sessions. Please review the schedule one more time and attest to your commitment to attending all sessions, including the two-week summer institute. Include a brief description of what aspects of your leadership you hope to develop as a direct result of your full participation in this fellowship.
The application period for the 2019-2020 year has concluded.
For more information, please email email@example.com.