Urban Teacher Residency – TESOL (MA)
In order to graduate, students in the Urban Teacher Residency – TESOL (MA) program must apply for graduation using CUNYFirst the semester before the semester of their planned graduation, fill out a graduation checklist and review it with their administrative advisor, and complete any outstanding requirements by the stated deadlines.
All graduate students must apply for graduation via their CUNYfirst account. Log into your CUNYfirst account and navigate to your “Student Center.” Under the “Academics” section of the page, use the drop down box to select “Apply for Graduation.” Click on the “Apply for Graduation” link to proceed with your application.
When do I apply?
The application period opens the semester before the semester of your planned graduation.
Planned Fall/Winter Graduation
Application period is June 16 – October 15.
Planned Spring Graduation
Application period is October 16 – February 15.
Planned Summer Graduation
Application period is February 16 – June 15.
For further information about applying for graduation visit One Stop.
Understanding Your Graduation Audit Results
Degree audit results are a list of outstanding exit requirements that must be completed on time in order to graduate.
The results will be emailed to students via their myHUNTER email address from Degree Audit Division by the last month of the semester.
Completing Outstanding Requirements
Students must complete any outstanding requirements by the following dates:
Planned Fall/Winter 2019 Graduation
December 20, 2019
Planned Spring 2020 Graduation
May 18, 2020
Planned Summer 2020 Graduation
August 10, 2020
In addition to applying for graduation using CUNYFirst, students can complete a self audit of their progress towards graduation to determine outstanding requirements using the Course Sequence. Students may also request a graduation checklist from their administrative advisor.
Course sequence is subject to change.
- BILED 701 Foundations Bilingual Education (3 credits)
- CEDF 713 Child and Adolescent Development (3 credits)
- SPED 708 Teaching Students with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings (3 credits)
- Pre-Service Fieldwork
First Fall – Residency Year
- EDESL 788 Supervised Practicum 1, Pre-K-6 and 7-12 (1 credit)
- LING 703 Analysis and Structure of English I (3 credits)
- EDESL 783 Methodology of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (3 credits)
First Spring – Residency Year
- EDESL 788 Supervised Practicum 1, Pre-K-6 and 7-12 (2 credits)
- LING 773 Instructed Second Language Acquisition (3 credits)
- LING 704 Analysis and Structure of English 2 (3 credits)
- EDESL 775 Socio-Cultural Aspects of Language (3 credits)
- EDESL 787 K-12 ESL Curriculum and Materials across the Content Areas (3 credits)
Second Fall – Induction Year
- EDESL 753 Supervised Teaching 2 (3 credits)
- EDESL 791 Language Assessment in TESOL (3 credits)
- EDESL 792 Second Language Literacy and Technology (3 credits)
Total credits: 39
When applicable, students must report the following exit requirements to the Office of Academics and Student Affairs:
- Workshop Completion & Exam Scores
- Course Substitutions
- Graduate Time Extension
- Technology Competencies
- Professional Teaching Portfolio
- Comprehensive Exam
After applying for graduation, students can check the status of their graduation posting through their CUNYfirst account.
To check via CUNYfirst go to Self Service > Degree Process/Graduation > View Grad Status. You may see updates such as “Applied,” “In Review” or “Pending.”
- Applied – You have applied for graduation and your application is on file with Degree Audit Division. Your audit has not yet been conducted.
- In Review – There are outstanding items on your audit that must be addressed. Degree Audit Division will email you at your myHUNTER email account with the results of your audit.
- Pending – Your audit is awaiting end of term grades.
Once your graduation is posted, you will no longer see “View Grad Status” as an option. Check your unofficial transcript through Self Service > Academic Records to see your degree conferred.
Conferral & Processing Timeline
Only students who have met all requirements for graduation will be conferred. The conferral date is the official graduation date on a student’s transcript and diploma. The degree will be processed and posted to CUNYfirst by Degree Audit Division within 8-weeks after the conferral date. Recommendations for teacher certification are sent about a week after the graduation posts to CUNYfirst.
Conferral Date: January 15
Processing Date: March 15
Conferral Date: February 1
Processing Date: April 1
Conferral Date: June 1
Processing Date: August 1
Conferral Date: September 1
Processing Date: November 1
To adjust the graduation term after applying, students must email Degree Audit Division at email@example.com.