Urban Teacher Residency – TESOL (MA)
Welcome to the Urban Teacher Residency – TESOL (MA) program home page. Use this page as a guide to the program from acceptance to graduation.
The Urban Teacher Residency (UTR) program, a partnership between Hunter College, New Visions for Public Schools, and the New York City Department of Education, is an 18-month teacher preparation residency program that integrates the graduate coursework of the aspiring teacher with intensive, hands-on experiences in New York City schools. The program consists of a residency year in which students are fully immersed in a host school alongside an experienced mentor teacher and an induction year in which they are hired as a full-time teacher of record. Tuition costs are subsidized at approximately 50% and students are not responsible for any tuition payments until their second year in the program. Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a master’s degree and are eligible for New York State initial certification.
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment with an advisor, please select from the options below.
If you have general questions or need to follow up on a submitted form email email@example.com.
The program advisor will notify students of their cohort’s particular course of study before registering for classes. Course sequence is subject to change. To view course descriptions, progress standards and exit requirements visit the catalog.
- BILED 701 Foundations Bilingual Education (3 credits)
- CEDF 713 Child and Adolescent Development (3 credits)
- SPED 708 Teaching Students with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings (3 credits)
- Pre-Service Fieldwork
First Fall – Residency Year
- EDESL 788 Supervised Practicum 1, Pre-K-6 and 7-12 (1 credit)
- LING 703 Analysis and Structure of English I (3 credits)
- EDESL 783 Methodology of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (3 credits)
First Spring – Residency Year
- EDESL 788 Supervised Practicum 1, Pre-K-6 and 7-12 (2 credits)
- LING 773 Instructed Second Language Acquisition (3 credits)
- LING 704 Analysis and Structure of English 2 (3 credits)
- EDESL 775 Socio-Cultural Aspects of Language (3 credits)
- EDESL 787 K-12 ESL Curriculum and Materials across the Content Areas (3 credits)
Second Fall – Induction Year
- EDESL 753 Supervised Teaching 2 (3 credits)
- EDESL 791 Language Assessment in TESOL (3 credits)
- EDESL 792 Second Language Literacy and Technology (3 credits)
Total credits: 39