Success Academy – Childhood Special Education (Advanced Certificate)
The Success Academy program at Hunter College is open to eligible Success Academy teachers. Upon successful completion of the program, students receive an Advanced Certificate and eligibility for New York State initial certification in Childhood Special Education. The Advanced Certificate track is intended for teachers with prior New York State certification in Early Childhood Special Education Birth-Grade 2, Adolescent Special Education Generalist Grades 7-12, or Childhood Education Grades 1-6. Tuition costs are covered by Success Academy.
The program advisor will notify students of their cohort’s particular course of study before registering for classes. Course sequence is subject to change. To view course descriptions, progress standards and exit requirements visit the catalog.
- SPED 700 Issues and Practices in Educating Students with Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 701 Assessment of Students with Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 704 Issues in Teaching English Second Language Learners with Special Education Needs (1 credit)
- SPED 781 Reading for Students with Learning Disabilities Grades 1-6, Methods 1 (3 credits)
- SPED 782 Supervised Clinical Teaching of Students with Learning Disabilities: Part 1 (2 credits)
- SPED 783 Math, Organizational and Social Strategies for Students with Learning Disabilities: Methods 2 (3 credits)
- SPED 784 Supervised Clinical Teaching of Students with Learning Disabilities: Part 2 (2 credits)
Total credits: 17