Success Academy – Adolescent Special Education (Advanced Certificate)
The Success Academy program at Hunter College is open to eligible Success Academy teachers. Upon successful completion of the program, students receive an Advanced Certificate and eligibility for New York State initial certification in Adolescent Special Education. The Advanced Certificate track is intended for teachers with prior New York State certification in Childhood Special Education Grades 1-6 or Adolescent Education, Grades 7-12. Tuition costs are covered by Success Academy.
The program advisor will notify students of their cohort’s particular course of study before registering for classes. Course sequence is subject to change. To view course descriptions, progress standards and exit requirements visit the catalog.
- SPED 700 Issues and Practices in Educating Students with Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 701 Assessment of Students with Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 704 Issues in Teaching English Second Language Learners with Special Education Needs (1 credit)
- SPED 771 Methods of Teaching Reading for Adolescents with Learning Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 772 Supervised Clinical Teaching of Adolescents with Disabilities: Part I (2 credits)
- SPED 773 Math Methods for Adolescents with Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 774 Supervised Clinical Teaching of Adolescents with Disabilities: Part II (2 credits)
Total credits: 17