NYC Teaching Collaborative – TESOL PreK-12 (MA)
Welcome to the NYC Teaching Collaborative – TESOL (MA) program home page. Use this page as a guide to the program from acceptance to graduation.
The New York City Teaching Collaborative is an alternative certification program leading to New York State teacher certification. The Teaching Collaborative is offered in partnership with the New York City Department of Education. Participants, or Partner Teachers, spend a full spring semester as an apprentice in a high-need NYC public school before becoming a full-time teacher. During this apprentice semester, Partner Teachers are supervised, mentored, and coached by Collaborative Coaches, who are experienced classroom teachers. Partner Teacher enroll in a master’s program and receive continuous supervision and professional development through Hunter and the Teaching Collaborative program. Tuition costs are subsidized at approximately 50% by the NYCDOE and students are not responsible for any tuition payments until they begin teaching full-time and earning a full-time teacher’s salary. Upon successful completion of the program, students earn a master’s degree and are eligible for New York State initial teacher certification.
The program advisor will notify students of their cohort’s particular course of study before registering for classes. Course sequence is subject to change. To view course descriptions, progress standards and exit requirements visit the catalog.
- EDESL 783 Methodology of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- LING 703 Analysis and Structure of English 1
- EDESL 787 K-12 ESL Curriculum and Materials across the Content Areas
- CEDF 713 Child and Adolescence Development
- LING 704 Analysis and Structure of English 2
- EDESL 788 Supervised Practicum 1, PreK-6 and 7-12
- LING 773 Instructed Second Language Acquisition
- SPED 708 Teaching Students with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings
- BILED 701 Foundations of Bilingual Education
- EDESL 791 Language Assessment in TESOL
- EDESL 775 Socio-Cultural Aspects of Language
- EDESL 753 Supervised Teaching 2
- EDESL 792 Second Language Literacy and Technology
Total credits: 35