Deaf and Hard of Hearing (MSED) Course Sequence and Program Tracker – Spring Start
Academic Plan: DEAFN-MSED
This is a recommended sequence of courses. Students must consult with the faculty advisor to determine their individualized course of study before registering for classes. Please note course of study depends on class availability.
Semester 1 – Spring
- SPED 700.50 – Social, Historical, and Philosophical Foundations of General and Special Education (3 credits)
- SPED 702 – Classroom Management in Special Education and Inclusive Settings (3 credits)
- SPED 735 – Speech Development and Remediation of Students who are Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing (3 credits)
- CEDF 709 – Child Development Grades 1-6 (3 credits)
- Educating All Students (EAS) Exam – Students must pass before applying for Student Teaching.
Semester 2 – Summer
- HED 715 – Health Education for Special Educators (1 credit)
- CEDC 704.50 – Teaching Developmental Reading (3 credits)
- CEDC 705.50 – Mathematics Curriculum and Methods (3 credits)
Semester 3 – Fall
- SPED 720 – American Sign Language I (3 credits)
- SPED 730 – Education of Students Who Are Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing (3 credits)
- SPED 736 – Aural Rehabilitation of Students who are Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing (3 Credits)
- Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) Workshop
Semester 4 – Winter
- CEDC 722.50 – Social Studies Curriculum and Instruction: Integrating Literature, the Arts, and Technology (2 credits)
Semester 5 – Spring
- SPED 701 – Assessment of Students with Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 721 – American Sign Language II (3 credits)
- CEDC 703.50 – Teaching Science in the Elementary School (3 credits)
- Content Specialty Test (CST) – Deaf and Hard of Hearing (063). Students must pass before applying for student teaching.
Visit the fieldwork page for full policies and procedures
Semester 6 – Summer
- CEDC 729 – Fieldwork in Childhood Education for Special Educators (1 credit)
- Content Specialty Test (CST) – Multi-Subject Teachers of Childhood (Grade 1-6) (221/222/245). Students must pass before applying for Student Teaching.
Semester 7 – Fall
- SPED 722 – The Study of ASL Educational Linguistics (2 credits)
- SPED 731 – Reading and Writing Development for Students Who Are Deaf and Hard of Hearing: Methods 1 (3 credits)
- SPED 707 – Research Seminar: Issues in Special Education (3 credits)
Students must apply for graduation the semester before their planned graduation. Refer to the graduation page for full policies and procedures.
Semester 8 – Spring
- SPED 733 – Math and Across-the Curriculum Adaptations for Students who are Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing: Methods 2 (3 credits)
- SPED 737 – Student Teaching: Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing, Preschool-Grade 12 (4 credits)
- edTPA – Students must prepare a portfolio of materials during their student teaching clinical experience to demonstrate readiness to teach including lesson plans and unedited video recordings of themselves at work in the classroom.
Students must apply for certification in their final semester. Refer to the certification page for requirements and step by step instructions.
- Must complete at least 24 SPED credits to be eligible for SPED 707. Students who are in their last semester have seat priority.