Childhood Special Education – Learning Disabilities – with Prior NYS Childhood or PreK-6 Certification (MSEd) Course Sequence and Program Tracker – Full-Time – Fall Start
- Academic Plan: CSPE-MSED
- Subplan/Track: CSPEDLDANC
- Total Credits: 37
- Effective: Fall 2020
This is a recommended full-time sequence of courses and exams for students entering in the fall. Students should consult with their faculty advisors to determine their individualized course of study before registering for classes.
Fall Semester 1
- SPED 70050 – Social, Historical, and Philosophical Foundations of General and Special Education (3 credits, Foundations)
- SPED 70300 – Inclusive Instruction in General Education Classrooms for Students with Learning and Behavior Disorders (3 credits)
- SPED 70450 – Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students (3 credits, Foundations)
- SPED 78000 – The Study of Learning Disabilities in Children and Adolescents (3 credits, Foundations)
Semester Credits: 12
- Educating All Students (EAS) – Passing score required prior to student teaching or practicum.
- Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) Training – This workshop can be completed at Hunter College or outside of Hunter College. The workshop is three hours.
Spring Semester 1
- SPED 70200 – Classroom Management in Special Education and Inclusive Settings (3 credits)
- SPED 70100 – Assessment of Students with Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 70600 – Strategies and Curriculum Adaptations for Learners with Severe/Multiple Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 78100 – Reading for Students with Learning Disabilities Grades 1-6, Methods 1 (KC) (3 credits)
Semester Credits: 12
- Content Specialty Test (CST) – Students with Disabilities
Fall Semester 2
- SPED 72300 – Math for Students with Learning Disabilities (KC) (2 credits)
- SPED 72400 – Writing for Students With Learning Disabilities, Methods 3 (KC) (2 credits)
- SPED 78200 – Supervised Clinical Teaching of Students with Learning Disabilities: Part 1 (KC) (2 credits)
Semester Credits: 6
Spring Semester 2
- SPED 70550 – Use of Instructional Technology in the Special Education Classroom (2 credits)
- SPED 78400 – Supervised Clinical Teaching of Students with Learning Disabilities: Part 2 (KC) (2 credits)
Semester Credits: 4
Students must apply for graduation the semester before their planned graduation. Refer to the graduation page for full policies and procedures.
Fall Semester 3
- SPED 72500 – Student Teaching: Learning Disabilities Grades 1-6 (KC) (3 credits) or SPED 72550 – Supervised Practicum: Learning Disabilities Grades 1-6 (KC) (3 credits)
Semester Credits: 3
Students must apply for certification in their final semester. Refer to the certification page for requirements and step by step instructions.
Students must apply for student teaching/practicum. Refer to the fieldwork page for full policies and procedures.