Bilingual Education Extension – NYS Teachers (Advanced Certificate) Course Sequence and Program Tracker – Part-Time – Spring Start
Academic Plan: BIEXT-AC
This is a suggested part-time course sequence for students who begin their program in Spring semester.
Semester 1 – Spring
- take either:
- BILED 77800 – Instruction Through the Native Language-Spanish (3 credits, includes fieldwork hours); OR
- BILED 76800 – Instruction Through the Native Language-French (3 credits, includes fieldwork hours); OR
- BILED 76900 – Instruction Through the Native Language-Chinese (3 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
- BILED 70100 – Foundations of Bilingual Education (3 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
Semester 2 – Fall
- BILED 7115 00- Fieldwork in Bilingual Literacy (KC) (1 credit, includes fieldwork hours)
- must complete in opposite grade level of student teaching
- And take either:
- BILED 71100 – Bilingual Literacy-Spanish (KC) (2 credits); OR
- BILED 71200 – Bilingual Literacy-French (2 credits); OR
- BILED 71300 – Bilingual Literacy-Chinese (2 credits)
Semester 3 – Spring
- BILED 77100 – Psychology of Language Learning and Teaching (2 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
Semester 4 – Fall
- BILED 77900 – Multicultural Education (3 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
- Bilingual Education Assessments (BEA) Exam – Students must take the BEA exam prior to graduation. Visit the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations website for more information.
Students must apply for graduation the semester before their planned graduation. Refer to the Graduation and Commencement page for full policies and procedures.
Students must apply for certification in their final semester. Refer to the Certification page for requirements.