Bilingual Childhood Education (MSEd) Course Sequence and Program Tracker – Full-Time – Fall Start
Academic Plan: CEBIL-MSED
This is a suggested full-time course sequence for students who begin their program in Fall semester.
Students who graduate from their teacher preparation programs in Fall 2023 or later, will be required to complete a teacher preparation assessment (TPA) as a requirement for program completion. As of April 2022, the Hunter College School of Education is reviewing the options for the teacher preparation assessment (TPA) and we will have more information available for students in the coming months.
Semester 1 – Fall
- BILED 70100 – Foundations of Bilingual Education (3 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
- CEDF 70900 – Child Development Grades 1-6 (3 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
- CEDC 71300 (CEDC 714) – Health Education for the Classroom Teacher (3 credits)
- CEDC 729500 – Fieldwork in Childhood Education for Bilingual Educators (KC) (1 credit, includes fieldwork hours)
- May be exempt if currently teaching in a general (not bilingual) childhood program/school
Semester 2 – Spring
- CEDC 70000 – The Art of Effective Teaching (2 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
- BILED 77100 – Psychology of Language Learning and Teaching (2 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
- CEDC 70400 – Teaching Developmental Reading (3 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
- CEDC 70500 – Mathematics Curriculum and Methods (3 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
- CEDC 70600 – Reflective Practice in Elementary School Social Studies Curriculum Development (3 credits)
- Bilingual Education Assessments (BEA) Exam – Students must take the BEA exam prior to graduation. Visit the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations website for more information.
Semester 3 – Fall
- BILED 77900 – Multicultural Education (3 credits, includes fieldwork hours)
- CEDC 70300 – Teaching Science in the Elementary School (3 credits)
- BILED 71150 – Fieldwork in Bilingual Literacy (KC) (1 credit, includes fieldwork hours)
- must complete in opposite grade level of student teaching
- And take either:
- BILED 71100 – Bilingual Literacy-Spanish (KC) (2 credits); OR
- BILED 71200 – Bilingual Literacy-French (KC) (2 credits); OR
- BILED 71300 – Bilingual Literacy-Chinese (KC) (2 credits)
Prior to student teaching, students must take the following exams:
- Content Specialty Tests (CST) Multi-Subject: Teachers of Childhood (Grade 1–Grade 6)
- Educating All Students (EAS) Exam – Students must pass before applying for Student Teaching.
For more information regarding exams, including when and where you can take the, visit the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations website.
Semester 4 – Spring
- BILED 71700 – Language Assessment for English Language LearnersS (3 credits)
- CEDF 70600 (CEDF 70800) – Social, Historical, Philosophical Foundations: The American School (2 credits)
- BILED 78000 – Bilingual Research Seminar (2 credits)
- And take either:
- BILED 778 – Instruction Through the Native Language-Spanish (3 credits, includes fieldwork); OR
- BILED 768 – Instruction Through the Native Language-French (3 credits, includes fieldwork); OR
- BILED 769 – Instruction Through the Native Language-Chinese (3 credits, includes fieldwork)
Student Teaching / Practicum.
Students must apply for student teaching/practicum. Refer to the fieldwork page for full policies and procedures.
- SPED 708 – Teaching Students with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings (3 credits)
- Dignity for All Students (DASA) Workshop – In addition to the Certification Exams, students must complete the Dignity for All Students (DASA) workshop prior to graduation. The DASA workshop can be completed at Hunter College or outside of Hunter College.
Semester 5 – Fall
Students must prepare a portfolio of materials during their student teaching clinical experience to demonstrate readiness to teach including lesson plans and unedited video recordings of themselves at work in the classroom.
- BILED 782 – Supervised Student Teaching in Grades 1-3 or 4-6 (KC)
- must be opposite grade level of BILED 711500
- OR for students currently teaching in a bilingual program:
- BILED 783 – Practicum in Grades 1-3 (KC); AND
- BILED 784 – Practicum in Grades 4-6 (KC)
Students must apply for graduation the semester before their planned graduation. Refer to the Graduation and Commencement page for full policies and procedures.
Students must apply for certification in their final semester. Refer to the Certification page for requirements.