Adolescent Special Education (Advanced Certificate) – Course Sequence and Program Tracker – Part-Time – Summer Start
Academic Plan: ASE712-AC
Semester 1 – Summer Session 2
- SPED 70050 – Social, Historical, and Philosophical Foundations of General and Special Education (3 credits)
- SPED 70300 – Inclusive Instruction in General Education Classrooms for Students with Learning and Behavior Disorders (3 credits, includes Fieldwork hours)
- SPED 70100 – Assessment of Students with Disabilities (3 credits, includes Fieldwork hours)
- SPED 70200 – Classroom Management in Special Education and Inclusive Settings (3 credits)
Semester 2 – Fall
- SPED 77100 – Methods of Teaching Reading for Adolescents with Learning Disabilities (3 credits, includes Fieldwork hours)
- SPED 77200 – Supervised Clinical Teaching of Adolescents with Disabilities: Part I (2 credits, includes Fieldwork hours)
Semester 3 – Winter
- SPED 70400 – Issues in Teaching English Language Learners With Special Needs (1 credit)
Semester 4 – Spring
- SPED 77300 – Math Methods for Adolescents with Disabilities (2 credits)
- SPED 77400 – Supervised Clinical Teaching of Adolescents with Disabilities: Part II (2 credits)
By the middle of the spring semester, students with initial certification must have taken and passed the following certification exams:
- Content Specialty Test (CST) – Students with Disabilities
- Content Specialty Test (CST) – Multi-subject (3 parts) Grade 7-12
Students must apply for graduation the semester before their planned graduation. Refer to the Graduation and Commencement page for full policies and procedures.
Students must apply for certification in their final semester. Refer to the program Certification and Licensure page for requirements and step by step instructions.
- In addition to the Certification Exams, students must complete the DASA workshop prior to graduation. The DASA workshop can be completed at Hunter College or outside of Hunter College.
- SPED 70050 replaces the requirement of SPED 70000 indicated in the course catalog