Adolescent Latin (Advanced Certificate) Course Sequence and Program Tracker – 7 Semester – Spring Start
Academic Plan: LATAE-AC
Students are required to complete 25-26 credits in Education Courses. This is a recommended sequence of Education courses. Students must consult with the faculty advisors in Education and Latin to determine their individualized course of study before registering for classes.
Students who graduate from their teacher preparation programs in Fall 2023 or later, will be required to complete a teacher preparation assessment (TPA) as a requirement for program completion. As of April 2022, the Hunter College School of Education is reviewing the options for the teacher preparation assessment (TPA) and we will have more information available for students in the coming months.
Semester 1 – Spring
- SEDF 703 – Social Foundations of Adolescent Education (3 credits)
Semester 2 – Fall
- SEDF 704 – Adolescent Development, Grades 7-12 (2 credits, includes Fieldwork hours)
- SEDC 720 – Adolescent Health and Safety (1 credit)
Semester 3 – Spring
- SEDC 710 – Building the Foundations of Literacy in Adolescent Education (3 credits)
Semester 4 – Fall
- SEDF 705 – Educational Psychology: Applications to Adolescent Education (2 credits, includes Fieldwork hours)
- SPED 708 – Teaching Students with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings (3 credits)
- Educating All Students (EAS) Exam – Students must pass before applying for Student Teaching.
Semester 5 – Spring
- LATED 712 – Methods 1: Classroom Organization, Management, and Assessment of Instruction in Latin (3 credits)
- Content Specialty Test (CST) – Biology. Students must pass before applying for Student Teaching.
Semester 6– Fall
- LATED 713 – Methods 2: Teaching for Diverse Learners in Latin (2 credits)
- SEDF 706 – Assessment of Teaching and Learning in Adolescent Education (2 credits, must be taken with a field-based course.)
Student Teaching / Practicum
Students must apply for student teaching/practicum. Refer to the Fieldwork page for full policies and procedures.
Students must apply for graduation the semester before their planned graduation. Refer to the Graduation and Commencement page for full policies and procedures.
Semester 7– Spring
- LATED 73100 – Student Teaching (5 credits) or LATED 74110 and LATED 74120 – Practicum (4 credits)
- Students must prepare a portfolio of materials during their student teaching clinical experience to demonstrate readiness to teach including lesson plans and unedited video recordings of themselves at work in the classroom.
Students must apply for certification in their final semester. Refer to the Certification page for requirements and step by step instructions.
- SEDC 7200 – Adolescent Health and Safety, is available every semester including summer and winter sessions.
- SEDC 7100 – Building the Foundations of Literacy in Adolescent Education, can be taken in semester 1 or semester 2. It is also offered in the summer.
- SPED 70800 – Teaching Students with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings, can be taken in semester 2 or 3. It is also offered in the summer with several fully online sessions.
- In addition to the Certification Exams, students must complete the DASA workshop prior to graduation. The DASA workshop can be completed at Hunter College or outside of Hunter College.