Urban Teacher Residency – Adolescent Special Education (MSEd)


Requirements During COVID-19 Public Health Emergency

We know that there are many unanswered questions. As the public health emergency around us is evolving daily we are committed to providing you with information and guidance as it becomes available. For up-to-date information visit the School of Education COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Updates page.

First Summer – Pre-Service Fieldwork

As required by New York State law governing alternative certification programs, you will participate in pre-service fieldwork during your first summer. You will be placed in a summer school setting where you will begin to learn and develop your pedagogical skills. Placement for pre-service summer fieldwork is managed by New Visions.

First Year – Residency Year

During your residency year, all fieldwork requirements are embedded in your residency placement. You are not required to complete additional fieldwork beyond your residency.

Second Summer

You are not required to teach summer school during your second summer. There are no fieldwork requirements during your second summer.

Second Year – Induction Year

During your induction year you will be hired as a full-time teacher of record. At that point all fieldwork requirements can be completed in your capacity as a full-time teacher.

Learning Lab

As a participant in the Urban Teacher Residency program you will enroll in Learning Lab during your first spring and second fall. Learning Lab is a required year-long clinical experience embedded in SPED 777. This lab draws on the lectures and materials from the methods courses in your program. In this clinical teaching practicum, you will be required to tutor a student with an IEP twice weekly to address individualized goals of the student and practice use of specialized, research based methods for students with disabilities. This tutoring must take place outside of regular class time. You will receive specific information and support about the tutoring requirements in your SPED 777 courses. You will tutor a student at your school and participate in a hybrid seminar. Per the Hunter College School of Education progress standards, you must receive a grade of at least a B in Learning Lab. If you receive a grade of B- or lower you must apply to the department chair for permission to retake the course. Students who earn an F in Learning Lab will not be allowed to continue in the program.