PETS: Fingerprinting for Fieldwork and Student Teaching
The New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) requires that any student doing more than 40 hours of fieldwork or student teaching in a school needs to obtain fingerprint clearance. All candidates in programs leading to NYS certification will also need to have their fingerprints cleared by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) for NYS certification. Candidates will only need to be fingerprinted once, by either NYCDOE or NYSED. Candidates in Early Childhood Education programs may require additional fingerprinting clearance through the Department of Investigation (DOI). Candidates should consult their individual program’s fieldwork page for more information.
All Hunter College teacher candidates who will placed in New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) public schools (K-12) for clinical experiences MUST enter their personal information into the Personnel Eligibility Tracking System (PETS) and be fingerprinted by the NYCDOE prior to starting their clinical experiences.
1. To enter your information into PETS, go to the Reception on the 10th Floor of the West Building during PETS hours:
- Wednesday and Thursday from 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
2. Upon submitting your personal information into PETS, you will receive an email from PETS within 24 hours. The email will direct you to the Applicant Gateway System login. Fill out the online forms and then print the fingerprint referral form.
3. Visit the HR Connect Walk-in Center at 65 Court St, Room 102, Brooklyn, NY 11201 with the following documents:
- Fingerprint Referral form
- A valid government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport,
- Your Hunter College ID card,
- A payment of $135 (HR Connect accepts only personal checks or money orders payable to NYCDOE/DHRT or a debit/credit card (American Express not accepted).
4. You will then be fingerprinted. If you need to have your fingerprints/criminal history record transferred to the New York State Education Department (NYSED), please request to submit an OSPRA 104 form.
Note: If you have already been fingerprinted by the NYSED, you MUST still enter your personal information into PETS and continue with steps 1-3. Upon arrival at 65 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY, please report to the HR Connect Walk-in Center. You need to clearly state you are a student teacher, even if you are fieldwork intern (bring Hunter College ID) previously fingerprinted by NYSED and then the HR Connect representative will assist you to electronically submit an OSPRA 103 form (paper OSPRA 103 forms are no longer accepted). This will prevent you from paying another fingerprinting fee.
With the increased numbers of New York City Department of Education teachers being hired and the Universal Pre-Kindergarten/Middle-School after-school expansions, the New York City Department of Education is anticipating significant traffic at 65 Court Street, especially at the walk-in center for fingerprinting. The wait for fingerprinting may be long.
New York State law requires applicants for certification and prospective employees of school districts, charter schools and BOCES to undergo a fingerprint supported criminal history background check conducted by the New York State Education Department’s Office of School Personnel Review and Accountability (OSPRA).
The Statewide Vendor Managed System (“SVMS”)is a system for capturing fingerprints for civil purposes (i.e. certification, employment, etc.) for New York State agencies. The vendor for NYSED is MorphoTrust. MorphoTrust has a website that provides more information on the process, including scheduling a fingerprinting appointment: www.identogo.com. The ORI number (code) for NYSED: TEACH
If you have already been fingerprinted by the NYSED, you MUST still enter your personal information into PETS and continue with steps 1-3. Upon arrival at 65 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY, please report to the HR Connect Walk-in Center. You need to clearly state you are a student teacher , even if you are fieldwork intern (bring Hunter College ID) previously fingerprinted by NYSED and then the HR Connect representative will assist you to electronically submit an OSPRA 103 form (paper OSPRA 103 forms are no longer accepted). This will prevent you from paying another fingerprinting fee.
If you have been previously fingerprinted by the DOE and wish to request your fingerprint clearance be transferred to the NY State Education Department (SED) to complete your certification process, you will need to submit an OSPRA 104 form to the DOE.
To forward your fingerprints from the DOE to the SED, follow these steps:
1. Download the OSPRA 104 form at http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tsei/documents/ospra104.pdf.
2. Print and complete the form.
3. Fax the form to the NYC Department of Education office at 718-935-2726.
If you plan to student teach/perform fieldwork in a setting with pre-kindergarten children, click on the Pre-kindergarten children link.
If you have been previously fingerprinted by a NY City, NY State or Federal Agency other than the NYC Department of Education (NYC DOE) or the NY State Education Department, the NYC DOE is legally unable to use those fingerprint results to verify your security clearance.