NYC Teaching Fellows – Adolescent Special Education (MSEd)


Requirements During COVID-19 Public Health Emergency

We know that there are many unanswered questions. As the public health emergency around us is evolving daily we are committed to providing you with information and guidance as it becomes available. For up-to-date information visit the School of Education COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Updates page.

First Summer – Pre-Service Fieldwork

As required by New York State law governing alternative certification programs, you will participate in pre-service fieldwork during your first summer. You will be placed in a NYCTF Training Academy hosted by an NYC summer school. Pre-Service Training (PST) is managed by the NYCTF office.

First and Second Year

As a participant in the Teaching Fellows program, you are required to be hired by a high-need NYC public school as a full-time teacher in your certification area. Once you begin teaching, all fieldwork requirements can be completed in your capacity as a full-time teacher. You are not required to complete additional fieldwork beyond your full-time teaching position.

Learning Lab

As a participant in the NYC Teaching Fellows Adolescent Special Education program you will enroll in Learning Lab during your second year. Learning Lab is a required year-long clinical experience embedded in SPED 777. This lab draws on the lectures and materials from the methods courses in your program. In this clinical teaching practicum, you will be required to tutor a student with an IEP twice weekly to address individualized goals of the student and practice use of specialized, research based methods for students with disabilities. This tutoring must take place outside of regular class time. You will receive specific information and support about the tutoring requirements in your SPED 777 courses. You will tutor a student at your school and participate in a hybrid seminar. Per the Hunter College School of Education progress standards, you must receive a grade of at least a B in Learning Lab. If you receive a grade of B- or lower you must apply to the department chair for permission to retake the course. Students who earn an F in Learning Lab will not be allowed to continue in the program.