Mental Health Counseling (Advanced Certificate)


Requirements During COVID-19 Public Health Emergency

We know that there are many unanswered questions. As the public health emergency around us is evolving daily we are committed to providing you with information and guidance as it becomes available. For up-to-date information visit the School of Education COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Updates page.

Clinical Experiences: Internship

Hunter College Mental Health Counseling (Advanced Certificate) Program students are required to complete two semesters of fieldwork experiences during their academic program.

For information on the courses associated with these fieldwork experiences, consult the course catalog in conjunction with the course sequence and program tracker.

Course Catalog

Review the course descriptions, progress standards, and exit requirements in the Course Catalog based on start date.

Course Catalog Summer 2022 onward

Course Catalog prior to Summer 2022

Course Sequence and Program Tracker


Upon successful admission to the program, students begin internship in the field of mental health counseling and need to be supervised by a licensed mental health counselor (LMHC). Internship is a two-consecutive semester experience, which starts in the fall semester and is completed in the spring semester. Internship requires students to be in the field a minimum of 300 hours per semester (approximately three full days each week). Students are responsible for finding a field site with appropriate supervision to complete the internship. Students can utilize their current or past worksites as their fieldwork placement as long as they meet the internship requirements.

Note: Internship hours that were completed during the studies in the clinical rehabilitation
counseling would not count.

Placement and Registration

Registration permission is required to register for Internship courses. Counseling students are responsible for identifying their placement in collaboration with the fieldwork coordinator. Once placement has been approved, registration permission will be granted.


Students must apply for internship by submitting a complete internship application by the specific deadline announced by the fieldwork coordinator, which will be the semester prior to starting.
Note: If students could not submit the fieldwork application, they will not be allowed to begin the program.


Each program has a Clinical Placement Specialist to work with students regarding fieldwork and supervised teaching.

Clinical Placement Specialist